James Edward Olliges Jr.
Fecha de nacimiento:
27 de abril de 1978
Canciones compuestas por
Cancioneros con canciones
de Yim Yames
Escúchalo en Apple Music
James performing in 2007
(born April 27, 1978), professionally known as Jim James
or Yim Yames
, is an American vocalist, guitarist, producer, and primary songwriter of the rock band My Morning Jacket. He has released three solo albums.
James grew up in the Highlands–Douglass neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. He attended St. Martha grade school and graduated from St. Xavier High School in 1996. James briefly attended the University of Kentucky.
James playing bass guitar as Yim Yames with the New Multitudes band
Prior to forming My Morning Jacket, James was the vocalist and guitarist of Month of Sundays, currently known as Mont de Sundua.
As the vocalist, frontman, producer and lead songwriter for My Morning Jacket, James has been instrumental in defining the sound of the band. He was given an "Esky" for best songwriter in Esquire
's 2006 Esky Music Awards in the April issue.
James typically plays rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, and occasional lead guitar on My Morning Jacket songs. He played the role of the band leader in the Bob Dylan
biopic I'm Not There
, singing the song "Going to Acapulco", with Calexico as his backing band, which was featured on the soundtrack of the film. Rolling Stone
listed James among their "20 New Guitar Gods" along with fellow My Morning Jacket guitarist Carl Broemel. In 2008, James, along with former My Morning Jacket guitarist and cousin Johnny Quaid, formed Removador Recordings and Solutions record label. The label, as described on its website, functions "on the simple principal of yielding the highest annual percentage of aural joy back into the hearts and minds of investors and shareholders with ease and convenience". He contributed vocals on The Decemberists' 2009 album The Hazards of Love
On April 4, 2009, James performed at the Radio City Music Hall, New York City, in the "Change Begins Within" concert benefitting the David Lynch Foundation.
On July 7, 2009, James released Tribute To
, an EP covering George Harrison
songs. A portion of the proceeds from the album were donated to the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. The EP was available on yimyames.com as both a digital download and a physical CD/LP.
In 2009, James and the rest of My Morning Jacket played themselves in "My Morning Straitjacket", an episode of the animated television series American Dad!
In 2012, Rounder Records released the Woody Guthrie
tribute album New Multitudes
which features songs covered by a variety of musicians including James (as Yim Yames) and Jay Farrar
. James wrote an article on My Morning Jacket, discussing how the band got its name and growing up in Louisville, for the July 2012 issue of Louisville
magazine. Bandmates Patrick Hallahan and Tom Blankenship also wrote articles for the issue.
James released his debut solo full-length album, Regions of Light and Sound of God
, on ATO Records on February 5, 2013.
In early 2014 James recorded for Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes
alongside Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, Taylor Goldsmith and Rhiannon Giddens. The album was produced by T-Bone Burnett and is a compilation of partial songs written by Bob Dylan that were never released.
On November 5, 2015, the David Lynch Foundation organised another benefit concert at New York City's Carnegie Hall named "Change Begins Within" to promote transcendental meditation for stress control. Jim James participated with Katy Perry, Sting, Jerry Seinfeld, Angelique Kidjo, and classical guitarist Sharon Isbin. And since each of the performers actively practices transcendental meditation, they also spoke to its power.
James plays himself and sings in episodes 4 and 10 of the Showtime series Roadies
In November 2016 he released his second solo album Eternally Even
James and Teddy Abrams co-wrote a suite of songs that were performed with the Louisville Orchestra on April 6 and 7, 2018 at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.
On April 17, 2018, James announced the June 29 release of his third solo album of original material, Uniform Distortion
. Along with the announcement was the release of a single and music video for the album's opening track ‘Just A Fool’. Also, included with the announcement was a letter James wrote to photographer Duane Michals requesting use of his photograph ‘The Illuminated Man’ for the album's cover art. James discovered the photo in the 1971 publication The Last Whole Earth Catalog
, which he stated was a primary inspiration for the new album.
James was raised Catholic and attended St. Martha School for grade school and St. Xavier for high school. He has been practicing Transcendental Meditation since 2009.
In 2008 he fell off the stage during a concert in Iowa, which inspired the recording of his first solo album.
: My Morning Jacket discography
- Tribute To (2009, EP)
- New Multitudes (with Jay Farrar, Will Johnson and Anders Parker) (2012)
- Regions of Light and Sound of God (2013)
- Eternally Even (2016)
- Tribute To 2 (2017)
- Uniform Distortion (2018)
- Uniform Clarity (2018)
- The Order of Nature (with Teddy Abrams and the Louisville Orchestra) (2019)
Monsters of Folk
The New Basement Tapes
- Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes (2014)
- Jim James sings backup vocals on the title track of Dr. Dog's 2010 album Shame, Shame.
- Jim James appears on The Sachal Ensemble album Song of Lahore (Universal, 2016).
- He has appeared several times as the musical guest on the late night TV show Late Night with Jimmy Fallon; in 2016 and twice in 2018.
- After the death of Bill Withers in 2020, he appeared as the musical guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert where he performed Bill Wither's classic song, Lean on Me.
- Gibson Custom ES-335 (Dot figured-top electric guitar with gloss finish honey burst)
- Gibson ES-335 (Black with dot inlays)
- Gibson 1998 Limited Edition Flying V with custom chrome pickguard
- 1976 Gretsch Broadkaster (Plain wood finish. Used as secondary performance guitar 1999–2003 tours. Also used in recording of Tennessee Fire, At Dawn, and all EPs recorded prior to 2004)
- 1962 Gibson Barney Kessel
- Gretsch Super Axe (red)
- 1975 Fender Stratocaster (sunburst, black pickguard, maple neck)
- Ovation Preacher 12-string electric
- 2008 Breedlove Custom Revival 000
- 1950's Martin Parlor acoustic
- Gibson J-185 acoustic/electric
- Takamine acoustic G335
- Omnichord (OM-27, OM-100, OM-200m)
- Roland SP-404
- Gibson Ripper bass
- Gold Tone banjo
- Tenor Saxophone
Amplifiers and cabinets
- 3 Monkeys Orangutan head
- Mesa Boogie Tremoverb head
- Carr Rambler
- 3 Monkeys vertical 2x12" cabinet
- Mesa Boogie 2x12" cabinets
Pickups, effects and other equipment
- SIB Mr. Echo pedal
- Boss RV-3 digital reverb pedal
- Boss BD-2 blues driver pedal
- Boss OC-3 super octave pedal
- Boss TU-2 Chromatic Stompbox tuner
- Hot Hand phaser/flanger
- Zvex Wooly Mammoth fuzz pedal
- Zvex Vexter Box of Rock pedal
- Earthquaker Devices Monarch Overdrive pedal
- EarthQuaker Devices Ghost Echo pedal
- Malekko Spring Chicken Reverb pedal
- Jim Dunlop Green Tortex picks (.88mm)
- Grain silo